This Skin That I'm In

I’m just starting to feel this skin that I’m in that I’ve spent most of my life ignoring.
This skin has turned into my armor.
Some may see it as my prison.
So much time spent on knowing others inside out.
I realize they only see this brown skin that I’m in.
I put forth a personality that didn’t reflect this brown skin that I’m in.
Confused by people who were confused by me.
"You don’t act black."
I didn’t know what that meant.
This skin that I’m in should tell you what I am.
No person’s skin comes with a manual on how to act.
I can only be me, not a color.
Still I didn’t feel the plight of others that share this skin that I’m in.
I kept my distance because the skin that I’m in didn’t feel like who I am inside.
I was reminded all the time that I wasn’t like all the others that share this skin that I’m in.
Now I see people who share this skin that are now covered in red.
Blood pouring from their brown skin for nothing other than the negativity that some seem to think it represents.
Only now can I see this brown skin that I’m in.
Only now can I feel it.
I am aware that no matter who I am others image of me will not go past this brown skin that I’m in.
For as long as I can remember I was okay with who I was within, but now I can also fully embrace and understand this brown skin that I’m in.
I can no longer ignore the responsibility that comes with being in this skin.
I love this skin that I’m in.
I will forever be proud of this brown skin.


-Asia Aneka Anderson
Tumblr: AsiaWrites

No comments:

Post a Comment